Railroads have traditionally managed to remain insulated from the effect of recessions and economic uncertainty.Over the recent past, railroads are being recognized as a service that is optimum in an era of scarcities and cost consciousness: they are more appropriate at moving freight and people. As a result, railroads are experiencing increased investments from stakeholders. However, this also means that the challenges before railroads in terms of intermodal operations, regulatory compliance, customer satisfaction, safety, demand issues, require closer and more urgent attention.
The key developments and concerns in the Railroad Industry are also its chief business drivers:
- Bulk cargo continues to be a major source of revenue for railroad companies globally and share of containerized cargo and associated complexity is on the raise.
- Rail road players want to ensure cost control and value for money, maintaining safety and security.
- Achieving environmental maintainability targets, meeting evolving customer needs and providing effective inter-modal solutions.
WTM's Services and Solutions
- Asset management, crew management and inter model operations
- Freight planning, improved yield and asset utilization
- Systems integration, testing, analytics, unified support services for enterprise applications
- Portals and customer experience solutions
With increasing environmental concerns and regulatory pressure on the transportation industry, rail roads gained higher focus and investments from all stake holders. While challenges remain in terms of internal operations, regulatory compliance, safety, demand issues, rail roads would evolve as preferred transportation modes. Bulk cargo continues to be a major source of revenue globally and share of containerized cargo and associated complexity is on the raise.
Acute challenges lie ahead for the Rail industry in terms of meeting forecast growth in demand, ensuring cost control and value for money, maintaining safety and security in the face of increased external pressures, achieving environmental maintainability targets and meeting evolving customer expectations and needs. There is also a need to focus on providing superior customer experience throughout the journey and provide seamless connectivity to other modes of travel.